Nothing too exciting has happened this week other than more demolition and the realization that this project is becoming larger than life. We are still in the process of making final decisions on the floor plan with our architect. Jim took me to a beautiful single family home in Lincoln Square that Patrick (our general contractor) finished building and closed on this week. The purpose of looking at this house was to get an idea of the finishes we might want to add to our home and see the finished product of Patrick's work. I was very impressed and got a lot of questions answered in the process. We have no idea when this house will be ready to move into but know that we have to be organized and make decisions quickly (about everything) so that we can move forward as fast as possible.
So far Jim and I have been able to make decisions with out fighting about them. It has worked out that the things he likes/cares about...I don't and vice versa. The one thing (which is not even house related) I was surprised he decided to care about was the color of the baby furniture. He wanted espresso and I want white. Ultimately I told him that I get to make the decision since I am carrying the baby and the WHITE crib and dresser ordered this week should be here in approximately 10 days. I wonder how many times I can use this argument to my favor? I think this whole process is going to teach the both of us the sweet lesson of compromising.
| Beginning of 3rd trimester! |
Baby news:
I had a doctors visit this week where I was tested for gestational diabetes. Ahead of time I was given a super-sweet glucose drink to take an hour before my appointment (after not eating anything for 2 hours ,which proved to be hard for me). My blood was drawn at the very beginning of the appointment and sent to be tested. Belly, weight, blood pressure and baby's heartbeat were all measured and documented to be normal. I was told the diabetes results would be called in to me the next day. Two days later my doctor called to tell me that I barely FAILED the glucose test. The cutoff is 140 and my score was 141. This does not mean that I am officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes but it does mean that I have to come in next week (at 7 a.m.) to take a more official THREE-hour exam where I get to have my blood drawn every hour. IF I fail this test I have to closely monitor my blood sugar, restrict my diet and see the doctor for even more visits to monitor the baby's growth (to make sure he is not getting too big). I don't think I will fail this test but I am anxious over the thought of having to restrict my diet and looking like a pregnant heroin addict after being stuck with a needle several times.
On a side note, I don't at all feel overly emotional and have not cried over little things like I hear happens to pregnant women. IF, however, I get diagnosed with diabetes and have to say goodbye to all things sweet I WILL be emotional!
Next week parenting classes start!
I like the idea of the white furniture, sorry Jimmy! And, I think you can continue to use the "I am the one carrying the baby" argument for years to come! That is an opinion that of course comes from another woman, not a dad. lol.
ReplyDeleteIf you do have to restrict your sweets, we'll come up with something else crave-worthy... can you have curly fries? :)
ReplyDelete