Sunday, September 11, 2011

I want candy!

WEEK 3

Baby news:
On Wednesday morning I had my three hour glucose tolerance test. I fasted for 14 hours and my blood was drawn when I first arrived to my appointment and every hour for three hours after drinking a sweet glucose drink (again). AFTER all of this I am officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes. According to the message on my voicemail, "2/4 blood samples were shown to be abnormal suggesting that I have diabetes in pregnancy". The next step involves meeting with a endocrine specialist who will teach me how to monitor by blood sugar and give me food guidelines. In the meantime I have completely cut out sweets and most carbohydrates and have tried to increase the amount of protein I am eating. I am hungry! I am trying to stay positive through this whole experience and look at my forced change in eating habits as nothing but a good thing for my growing baby.
On a more positive note, Jim and I started parenting classes at Northwestern hospital this week. The class we started with is called "Great Expectations" and meets for 2 1/2 hours for the first three Tuesday's of September. In the class we went over signs of labor, addressed fears regarding labor and delivery and watched a 1980's video of natural child birth. At one point in the class the instructor addressed the men in the room and asked them what they feared the most during the labor and delivery process. Jim raised his hand and explained how despite the fact that his father is a veterninarian and performs surgeries, he has passed out at the birth of all four of his children and his fear is that he will do the same. The class laughed and the instructor was amused but she simply told Jim to take a seat if he feels light-headed. Let's hope he can keep it together!

House news:
The house is completely gutted. Jim and I met with our general contractor and architect at the house this week to officially finalize the floor plan. We discussed getting rid of windows and making existing windows smaller. Carpenters came into to fix broken joist's and began framing walls. A masonry guy came to evaluate the house and is scheduled to come again next week to take care of all the brick work that will be involved in getting rid of windows. We were told that the brick is in excellent shape and does not need any tuck pointing...good to hear that there's no tuckpointing suprise cost to add to our budget. Currently the goal is to get all of the structural work of the house done by the end of October so that installing kitchen cabinets, sinks, toilets etc. can happen immediately.

Standing in the back of the house looking at the front of the house

Standing in the back of the house where the kicthen used to be

In the beginning I never imagined this project would turn into THIS


We are thinking of restoring and keeping the brick wall exposed around the fireplace

Upstairs: standing in the back of the house looking toward the front
Next week...parenting classes, doctors appointments and picking out bathroom stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment